7 • Part 1
John said the purpose for him writing about these signs wasn’t simply that you'll know what Jesus did and know what Jesus said, but these are written that you may believe. I want you to believe. I want you to journey with me and see what I have seen in my experience with Jesus. And my hope is that you will experience, through my experience, Jesus in such a way that you will be convinced that He is who He claims to be. He's not simply telling us what to believe. He's building a case as to why we should believe it.
- What’s one truth or statement that stood out to you this week?
- How difficult is it for you to believe in miracles?
- Signs are opportunities where you can begin to position yourself by faith to believe in Jesus and experience God doing the miraculous in your life. What is the danger in seeking a miracle rather than seeking Jesus?
- James said that “it may be that we don’t experience more miracles in life because we don’t bother to invite Jesus to intervene in the ordinary.” Why do you think it is that we don’t invite Jesus into our everyday lives?
- Read John 2:5-7. How many trips to the well do you think it took the servants to fill the jars with 180 gallons of water? Why do think Jesus wanted others involved in this miracle? Why are we sometimes afraid to get involved?
- Mary said so much by saying so little. Notice that Mary did not try to tell Jesus how to do the miracle, she just told Jesus about the situation. Why do we often try to tell Jesus what we think he should do?
- Read John 2:8-11. The signs of Jesus are here to position us to receive God working supernaturally in our lives. What is this sign teaching us?
- Jesus does not jump in where He is not invited. Are there areas of your life that you are not inviting Jesus to be involved in?
- We all want a miracle but we don’t want to be in a situation where we need one. Share with your group a time when you needed God to do a miracle.
- He is not just the God who turns water into wine. He is the God who can turn fear into faith. He can turn sadness into joy. He can turn anything into anything. And that’s the point! What is a miracle that you would like to see God work in your life that your group can start praying for?
How do you live in a miracle mindset? You invite Jesus to intervene, you trust the outcome to Jesus, you position yourself to get involved.