40 Days • No Longer Slaves • Part 2
Everyone is searching for something or someone to take away the guilt, the shame, the failures of our past. We can do better from this point forward, but how are we to get free from the sin that we have already committed? Who can free us from our sin?
- What was your biggest takeaway from reading the 40 Days this past week? What was your biggest takeaway from this weekend’s sermon?
- Everyone has a past that they just can’t seem to get past. Share a decision in your childhood that you regret. What are some ways you’ve tried to forget about negative choices you’ve made in the past (forget it, justify it, or make it right)?
- Read Romans 6:12-13. Sin doesn’t go away when we begin to follow Jesus. Does this realization help or hurt in your pursuit of freedom? Explain your answer. Pastor James stated, “Sin is not dead, but you are dead to sin.” What’s the difference?
- Read Romans 6:14a “For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under the law…” All the law can do is tell you you’re guilty. Why do we think obeying a set of rules or standards will help us make our past sins right? How have you done this in the past?
- Read Romans 6:14. Freedom from our past comes from living in God’s grace. Pastor James stated, “Grace is God’s unmerited love and acceptance.” Why don’t we deserve this grace? Why can’t we earn this grace?
- Read Ephesians 1:7 and Colossians 2:13-14. Jesus frees you from sin by forgiving all your sins (past & future). How do these verses emphasize what Jesus’ dying means to us in our daily struggles?
- Read Romans 8:1. Freedom comes when you replace your condemnation for confidence in Jesus Christ’s forgiveness. How do you experience freedom from condemnation when you still feel guilt and regret from past sins? When you don’t let go of condemning thoughts of your past, what does this say about what you believe about the power of God to truly forgive?
- Describe how you change your thinking from condemnation to confidence. How do you maintain this state of mind?
- Have you been able to stay on track with your daily readings? If so, share some creative ways you are staying on track with your daily readings.
- How have you been doing with your sacrifice for 40 Days? How can this group help you continue with your commitment?
- If comfortable, please share a past sin you are still struggling with. Please spend time praying for everyone in your group to continue to follow Jesus into freedom in their life.