Life Hacks • Part 4
We live in a broken world with broken people who, at times, do some pretty hurtful things to us. The reality is you will always experience conflict in life, but it’s how you deal with conflict that defines your experience in life. What can we learn from Solomon on how to deal with conflict in our lives?
1. Where do you find your greatest area of conflict—relationships, job, school, friends?
2. Read Proverbs 15:28. We often react to our feelings and then conflict begins. Think of a time you wish you had thought much more carefully before speaking and causing a situation to escalate. What was the result of speaking before thinking carefully?
3. Proverbs 18:2 says, “A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.” Trying to understand through listening before expressing your own feelings can help resolve conflict. When has listening before speaking helped you resolve a conflict?
4. Read Proverbs 12:15. What does Solomon say about the idea that the other party is completely responsible for conflict?
5. Relationships are always more important that being right. Do you struggle with this? Is there strife in a relationship right now because you know you are right and will defend yourself “to the death”?
6. Proverbs 13:10 is very clear on what is causing conflict in our relationships. Can you see the role pride is playing in the conflict you are experiencing? What are some of the practical steps you can take to acknowledge how anger is fueled by pride?
7. What is the wisest decision you can make when you are in a conflict?
8. Read Proverbs 17:9. Describe the example Pastor James used for the word “cover.” He also spoke about the term, “repeat the matter” as a manner of revenge (Do to them like they did to you). If you really want a meaningful relationship with someone, what is the best (reasonable) reaction when they offend you?
1. You’re struggling in a certain relationship. You argue. You know you’re right. How do you maintain your integrity and the relationship?
2. Who in your life is a good listener? How do they respond to you that makes you feel heard and understood?
3. Do you see the part you play in the conflict you’re experiencing right now?
Life Group Announcements
PRAYER PARTNERS | Thanks to everyone who joined us for prayer. Prayer Partners will be taking the month of August off to prepare for fall. We are looking forward to resuming on Tuesday, September 6. Our new schedule is the first and third Tuesday of each month. | 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month | 6:30-8:00 pm | Orange City Campus | Would you like to serve? Contact Cindy Jacobson by calling 386.775.3500 or emailing CAREnet@theJourneyOC.net
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. | More information: theJourneyOC.net/give
HAITI SCHOOL SUPPLIES | As the new academic year begins, we want to remember those in Haiti who are in desperate need of school supplies. Our partnering churches have a deep desire to educate children who would otherwise not be able to attend school. We are proud to say that our Brothers and Sisters in Haiti are changing 1500 children’s lives with the gift of education. It is our hope to support their amazing efforts by shipping bulk school supplies. Every $5 donation will cover all materials needed for one student. To donate or learn more, stop by the Sending Zone or drop your donation in the offering, using the designated envelopes. Together we can make sure our Haiti family has a strong start to the school year! | Throughout the month of August.
STARTING POINT | Do you know someone who’s new to faith, just checking it out, or coming back to church after some time away? Invite them to Starting Point. Starting Point is a nine-week conversational small group environment where you can explore faith and experience community. It’s a place where your beliefs and opinions are valued, and where no question is off-limits. | Starting Point Orientations are after each service on both campuses the weekend of September 10/11. Orange City Campus in the Teaching Room | Sanford Campus in the Conference Room
CARE GROUPS | We all have defining moments in our lives—challenging circumstances, relational pain, transitional seasons. How we respond during these times has a direct impact on our futures. Care Groups provide a network of short-term groups that offer helpful resources, encouragement, and advice from someone who understands what you’re going through. With topics on finances, marriage, and divorce these groups offer a fresh perspective on your situation. | Groups start on September 19, on the Orange City campus only | More information: theJourneyOC.net/groups