Summer • Part 2 - DeLand
1. What song or music genre best describes your life right now? Why?
2. Many times, we think our influence is tied to how often our voice and opinion is heard. We feel like we must engage in every discussion or debate on every issue on social media or at our workplace. Where have you seen or experienced the tendency for people to do this? What drives this in us?
3. Read 1 Thessalonians 4:9-10. In what ways can demonstrating our love for others lead to greater influence?
4. Read 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12. We are told to make it our ambition to live a quiet life. Why does this instruction seem backward to us at first?
5. The word translated here as “quiet” means, “at rest” or “still.” What things keep us from living a quiet, restful, or still life? Why does it take work for us to live this way?
6. In what ways can you have a greater influence on other people when you choose to work on your own issues instead of always getting yourself involved in the issues other people face?
7. The way you work will shape the respect you earn from others. How have you seen or experienced this principle in your life? Why do you think it works that way?
8. Read verse 12 again. The good news of Jesus is heard most clearly when we live a quiet and respectable life. In what ways does a “noisy” life in us hinder other people from seeing who Jesus truly is? In what ways does a quiet and respectable life help point others to Jesus?