Dealing With It • Part 2
Have you ever made a hard situation harder? A tough relationship tougher? A mess messier? You have tried and tried but the situation got worse? God’s wisdom will show us the way if we heed His word. Let’s examine what He has instructed us to do.
- Typically when you have conflict with someone, do you try to prove a point or make a difference in their life? What would you say is the difference between the two?
- Think about your IT. How did you get there?
- Read 1 Samuel 24:1-4. Conflict pushes you to make decisions in an emotionally charged environment. What is it about emotionally driven decisions that seem so right at the time, but later seem so wrong?
- Every IT comes with some bad options making IT harder, tougher, and messier. When have you taken a conflict to a whole new level by fueling the fire and making it messier and more difficult to resolve? What was the result?
- Read 1 Samuel 24:4-12. Pastor James said, “Do what is right don’t escalate the fight.” David could have justified doing the wrong thing. How have you justified doing the wrong thing when in conflict with someone? Besides the obvious (yelling obscenities, punching someone, etc.) how can someone quickly tell the difference between doing the right or wrong thing when in conflict with someone?
- Read Romans 12:21. You can’t control IT happening, but you can control how you respond to IT happening. Discuss the tension between overcoming evil for good when in conflict (i.e., being a door mat, giving up control in a situation, or perceived as a weakling).
- God can deal with IT without you adding to IT. How does your typical response to conflict reveal that you are not trusting in God to handle the situation? Do you trust Him to handle the IT in your life right now? What will that look like?
- Pastor James said one way to respond to IT is by recognizing you have a choice in how you respond. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Who in your life right now do you have the hardest time responding to a good way? How can this group help you to get better with this?
- If comfortable, share with the group how they can pray for you to give God the opportunity to work in the current conflict in your life.
Life Group Announcements
STARTING POINT | Do you know someone who’s new to faith, just checking it out, or coming back to church after some time away? Invite them to Starting Point. Starting Point is a nine-week conversational small group environment where you can explore faith and experience community. It’s a place where your beliefs and opinions are valued, and where no question is off-limits. | Starting Point Previews are after each service on the weekend of January 14/15 and last about 10 minutes. Orange City Campus in the Teaching Room | Sanford Campus in the Conference Room | theJourney.cc/startingpoint
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. | theJourney.cc/give
NEW WEBSITE AND APP | The Journey's new website and app are up and running. Our new URL is theJourney.cc. Our new site was not only designed to look great, but to make it simple to learn more about our church and how to get connected. And, our new Journey App is available for download on all major app stores (Apple, Android, Window and Amazon). Just search for the Journey - Florida. Look for the Journey logo. You can't miss it. You will now be able to watch sermons, get information, read stories and articles and give. The new app is a big step forward in the way we communicate. Please download and enjoy!