Life Hacks • Part 1
What in the world is a Life Hack? Put simply, it is a strategy or technique adopted in order to manage one’s time and daily activities in a more efficient way. In the life of a Christian, it’s not just what you know, but how you apply God’s wisdom to revolutionize the way you do everyday life.
1. Describe something you have learned to do that made what seemed like a difficult task become simple. In other words, what are some simple “life hacks” you have used, such as eating peanut butter to stop hiccups or using bread clips to label power cords?
2. As a teenager, were you the type of person who had to make their own mistakes or did you learn from others’ mistakes? How do you respond now when someone warns you against a poor decision you’re about to make?
3. What’s the difference between being smart/having a high IQ and being wise?
4. Read Proverbs 7:7-8. Solomon describes a young man who made choices that were not taking him where he thought he wanted to go. Why did Solomon say this man had no sense? Why do we sometimes see our decisions in the moment as disconnected from our larger story? How can we keep our focus away from the immediate?
5. Read Proverbs 8:1-6. What does Solomon say lacking wisdom is? How can lacking wisdom determine where we will end up?
6. Read Proverbs 8:32-33. Living with wisdom seems painful at first. It seems like you have to say “No” to yourself all the time. Now describe a wise choice you made. What was the outcome?
7. Read Proverbs 8:34-36. If you could talk to yourself 5, 10 or 20 years ago, what wisdom would you give. Share 2 or 3 things.
8. Pastor James challenged us to ask the question, “What’s the wisest thing for me to do?” Share with the group a scenario you’ll probably face this week in which you’ll need to ask this question. Try to follow up with each other regarding this.
1. Lacking wisdom is lacking awareness that the choices you make determine the life you live. Are there decisions you’re making right now that are taking you places that you don’t want to go? What does “Be Wise” mean for you practically this week.
2. To hate wisdom is to harm yourself and love death. Talk about a time when you said, “Well, I’m going to do it anyway.” What motivated you to refuse the right choice? What were the results?
Life Group Announcements
PRAYER PARTNERS | Thanks to everyone who has joined us for prayer. Prayer Partners will be taking the month of August off to prepare for the fall. We are looking forward to resuming on Tuesday, September 6. Our new schedule is the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month. | First and Third Tuesday of each month | 6:30-8:00 pm | Orange City Campus | Would you like serve? Contact Cindy Jacobson by calling 386.775.3500 or emailing CAREnet@theJourneyOC.net
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. More information theJourneyOC.net/give
HAITI SCHOOL SUPPLIES | As the new academic year begins, we want to remember those in Haiti who are in desperate need of school supplies. Our partnering churches have a deep desire to educate children who would otherwise not be able to attend school. We are proud to say that our brothers and sisters in Haiti are changing 1500 children’s lives with the gift of education. It is our hope to support their amazing efforts by shipping bulk school supplies. Every $5 donation will cover all materials needed for one student. To donate or learn more, stop by the Sending Zone or drop your donation in the offering bucket, using the designated envelopes. Together we can make sure our Haiti family has a strong start to the school year! | Collecting donations throughout the month of August.