Imaginary god • Part 1
Everyone’s had times where they've been disappointed and even angry at God -- times when your prayers go unanswered, or when life doesn’t work out the way you planned. It’s in these moments of doubt that we feel like just walking away from our faith all together. Before you abandon your faith, consider this: What if the god you’re so disappointed in never existed in the first place? Maybe you’ve put your faith in a god you’ve created in your mind. We are going to take the next six weeks and chip away at the Imaginary god and discover the only real God who is worth giving our entire lives to follow.
- Name one thing you’ve been completely convinced about in your life, only years later to realize that it was a false perception.
- Pastor A.W. Tozer once said, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” Do you agree or disagree? Why? What do you think he meant?
- Most people would probably admit that they’ve experienced anger, doubt or disappointment with God at some point in their life. Have you ever experienced one of those moments? If so, describe what was happening that caused those emotions.
- Read Romans 1:19-25. Verse 20 says many of God’s attributes or character traits can be seen in Creation. What kind of things should Creation tell us about God?
- Verse 23 suggests that people tend to exchange the true God for images. What kind of images or false gods are people prone to create in the 21st century?
- In which of the six false gods mentioned in the sermon are you most prone to put your trust? (Netflix god, warm-and-fuzzy god, Superman god, check-list god, flat-earth god, guilt god)
- Are you currently trusting in a false god? If so, what areas in your life reveal this? What needs to change?
- Share one way you can help each other this week to think rightly about God.
THE BRIDGE FOOD DRIVE | We are collecting non-perishable food items to stock our shelves. Donation suggestions include: Spaghetti noodles, Pasta Sauce, Canned Fruits & Vegetables, Boxed Macaroni & Cheese, Tuna, Rice and Peanut Butter & Jelly. Please bring your donations to the Sending Zone. More information: theJourney.cc/2C | All month long.
PRAYER PARTNERS | We want 200 people to pray for the Journey each week of this year! Will you take part in the greatest work a body of believers could undertake? Come anytime and stay for whatever fits your schedule. | Tuesday, November 15 and Tuesday, December 6 | 6:30-8:00 pm | Orange City Campus | Would you like serve? Contact Cindy Jacobson by calling 386.775.3500 or emailing CAREnet@theJourney.cc
FOCUS — MIDDLE SCHOOL | Focus is a chance for Middle School students to get away from their normal routine and get away with God while building relationships. Bonfires, crazy games, team building, laser tag and so much more! Make it a point to come this weekend, and make sure to invite a friend or two. This will not be an event you want to miss! We will meet on the Orange City Campus on Friday, November 18, between 4:00-4:30 pm and will return to the Orange City Campus at 10:15 pm on Saturday, November 19. To register: theJourney.cc/pursuit | November 18-19 at Camp Winona
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. | More information: theJourney.cc/give
NEW WEBSITE AND APP | The Journey's new website and app are up and running. Our new URL is theJourney.cc. Our new site was not only designed to look great, but to make it simple to learn more about our church and how to get connected. Our new Journey app is available for download on all major app stores (Apple, Android, Window and Amazon). Just search for the Journey - Florida. Look for the Journey logo. You can't miss it. You will now be able to watch sermons, get information, read stories and articles and give. The new app is a big step forward in the way we communicate. Please download and enjoy!